[Undergraduate] A Double Major Petition, Spring 2019
Under the University Constitution and Regulations in Chapter 4, Section3, Article 35
Academic Operations Regulation Chapter 6, Section 2, subsection 1 on Double Major
- Application via KUPID -
Log onto KUPID – [Registration/Graduation] – [University Registration] – [Double Major Petition]: Fill out the Faculty and Department – Complete the [Statement of Purpose] (Study Plan) – Click [Save] – Confirm Information & Click [Submit] – Log out
<Make sure you click [save] and double check before clicking [submit], as you will not be able to edit the application after you click [submit]>
A. Students who specified their 1st major
B. Students must complete a minimum 3 semesters at the University (minimum of 2 semesters for transfer students)
C. Students who are enrolled in Spring semester, 2019.
1) If a student applies for a leave of absence after the release of the double major petition outcome, the application will be withheld.
2) Applicants must be enrolled during March 1- July 31 (Spring Semester), September 1 – January 31 (Fall Semester)
D. Students who are already approved of a double major, an interdisciplinary major, a student-designed major or engineering authentication certificate program are NOT eligible to declare a double major.
1) Unless they withdraw from the earlier application before May 3rd, 17:00. (Application withdrawal can be made online via KUPID / Engineering authentication certificate program students must make the application withdrawal at the Department Office)
2) If a student withdraws the earlier application to declare a double major again, the student is allowed to do so once only. If the double major petition is not approved, the student must take a single intensive major instead.
2. Determination Criteria
A. Online Application: via KUPID (http://portal.korea.ac.kr)
B. Log onto KUPID – [Registration/Graduation] – [University Registration] – [Double Major Petition]: Fill out the Faculty and Department – Complete the [Statement of Purpose] (Study Plan) – Click [Save] – Confirm Information & Click [Submit] – Log out
C. Make sure you click [save] and double check before clicking [submit], as you will not be able to edit the application after you click [submit]. Please note that the application is not completed until you click [submit].
3. How to declare a double major
A. The approval of a double major is determined by academic records, interview, statement of purpose, depending on each faculty/department (please refer to the attached for details)
B. Overall GPA up to last semester will be taken into account.
4. Application Schedule
A. Online Application Period: May 8 (Wed) 10:00 – May 10 (Fri) 17:00
B. Please make sure to complete the online application at least 1-2 hours prior to the deadline.
NO exceptions will be made (e.g., technical issues)
5. Eligibility for application
A. Students who are enrolled in Spring 2019, who meet the requirements of a double major
B. Restrictions may apply for entering class of ’97 and ’98 students who are only allowed to declare a double major from humanities and social sciences faculties. (No restrictions apply for design or physical education students.)
6. Release of decisions
A. June 21 (Fri) 14:00 (tentative)
B. On KUPID > Bulletin > Notice > Academic Calendar
A. It is a requirement that students who commence their degrees from 2004 must declare a double major. Therefore, students must declare one of the following: an intensive major, a double major, an interdisciplinary major, or a student-designed major. (However, it is not compulsory for transfer students to declare a double major.)
B. The requirements of the award of an intensive major is equivalent to the 1st major requirements.
C. Students will be able to take double major courses from the next semester of making the petition.
D. The double major petition is not allowed for students from College of Law, Department of Computer Education, School of Computer & Information Technology, College of Medicine, College of Nursing, Department of Cyber Defense, and College of Pharmacy.
E. Non-applicable departments (followed by the faculty restructure)
1) College of Health Science: entering class of 2006-2013 students from College of Health Science are not allowed to declare a double major within College of Health Science
2) Students from other faculties: are allowed to declare a double major from new departments atCollege of Health Science.
F. Business School, College of Political Science and Economics, School of Art and Design, College of Informatics, Department of History Education from College of Education: the submission of the statement of purpose is compulsory (1,000 words).
G. Make sure to be familiar with the policy of double major, before proceeding with a petition.
H. If you have inquiries on the maximum number of students by departments or credit requirements, please contact the relevant department office.
Education Team, Academic Administration Division